Saturday 13 February 2010

WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE - December 09


I was so inspired by the movie, the chaos, the energy, the playfulness, the  roughness and the beauty ...I just had to do something with it ...
Nothing is pretty or gentle in the shoot, the cardboard mask kinda off takes it to a creepy/wild level, and still it points to childlike playfulness.
I abs love that the girl is not a standard white model, she was vietnamese and had a really rough, strong, exotic beauty to her.
The vintagy, recycling theme still going on here - with the lace and fur combined and a wonderful pick up child play dress I spotted the day before the shoot at Beyound Retro.

I have to be fair to this dress and give it 3 lines of its own: ok so this is a proper late 20s/30s PLAY dress, which me means it was a attite in which some pre-adoloscence (most probably wealthy) girl would   during play hours ( just this mere toughtis enough to bring me to 1000 further scenarios). The fabric is a stone/kaki  very beautiful organic linen, with nothing more or less than its own original hand printed toy print. Buttons up on S.B. woith 6 dainty mini silver metal army toy look alike buttons. It just screamed to me: vintage, fresh, new, organic and how great the concept of the piece itself: a playing dress!

Predictably,  I immediately felt for this piece like a sucker, did not look at the tag price and just went straight to pay for it -  assuring this was the best buy ever for the shoot, with the ENORMOUS plus I get to keep this piece for myself.

Irony, on the day of the shoot,  I was alone on my excitment - but I am happy I got it got this shoot :)@